Hello, today I’ll show you how I made levitron. So the idea of device is very simple, the electromagnet lift into the air a piece of magnetic material, and in order to create the floating effect, it is connected with a high frequency, lifting and dropping the subject.
Devise circuit is surprisingly easy, and I think there is will be no problem to build it, actually here it is, lets go through the components:
Let’s move on to the assembly, first we need to make a frame for the electromagnet around these parameters, 6mm diameter, winding length of about 23mm and a diameter of plugs with a margin somewhere 25mm. As you see I built it from a notebook sheet, cardboard and super glue, naturally previously spilled half a bottle on hand and table. So, now we fix the beginning of the wires in the frame, relaxing and starting to wind about 550 turns, no matter in what direction, and can wind in bulk, I have decided that it is for wimps and made 12 layers turn to turn killing one and a half hours.
Fix the end of the wire, put off the coil and pass to the soldering, all under the circuit without any nuances. Hall sensor soldered to wires because it will be located inside the coil and in fact we done. We can only set it up, as I said We put sensor inside, fix it, suspended coil and apply power, by bringing the magnet feels that it is attracted or repelled, depending on the pole and at a distance trying to fly, but does not.
After spending half an hour trying to to find an answer to the eternal question, “well, why this **** does not work!?” I’m desperate and decided to resort to extreme measures – to read the sensor’s datasheet, which is specially for the idiots like me, in pictures, showing which side of it has sensitive area. Take it out, bends here in such a way that with inscriptions flat side was eventually parallel to the ground and put back – this time it’s much better, but still not floating, what the problem is now I realized surprisingly quickly, tablet form – not the most successful thing to levitate and just enough to shift the center of gravity to the bottom, I made it of a piece of thick paper scribbled with the logo of the project, by the way do not forget to look which side of the magnet is attracted to the coil. Actually, now everything is more or less running and we need only align and secure the sensor. What else are nuances … at first I wanted to use 12V adapter, but an electromagnet wildly warmed up, had to switch to 5V, I did not notice any worsening of work, and the heat was almost completely cured, the transistor then the way is surprisingly cold, I thought I’ll have to use a heat sink, LED and limiting resistor were almost immediately disabled, the meaning of which 0. And as the final touch – a blue paper tape seemed not enough sexy, take it off it, I was right – a copper wire coil turn to turn looks much better.